Services for Print Disabled Patrons
It is estimated that approximately 93% of all published material is unavailable to individuals who have a perceptual disability as defined by the 'Canadian Copyright Act'. As such, Saskatchewan Public Libraries, including Lakeland Library Region, are committed to ensuring equitable access to library resources for all Saskatchewan residents.
To help ensure our commitment of equal access to all, we offer the resources Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) and the National Network for Equitable Library Service (NNELS) which offer a broad range of titles in a variety of formats including DAISY audio CDs, Print Braille, e-Braille, Described Movies, Downloadable DAISY files, MP3's, PDFs and more! - Scroll down to see more information about NNELS and CELA.
Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA)
A national not-for-profit organization, CELA serves 90% of the estimated 3 million Canadians with print disabilities in partnership with member libraries and has users in every province and territory. Formats available include:
- DAISY CDs: for DAISY players or MP3 compatible CD players
- DAISY digital: stream or download through the CELA website
- Braille: both contracted and uncontracted form
- Printbraille: picture books with added braille
- E-braille: download and use with electronic braille displays
- Described movies: in both VHS and DVD
- E-text: newspapers, magazines, and books downloaded from the CELA website
- Bookshare: free membership to the Bookshare online digital library (requires an additional registration after registering for CELA)
- English, French, other languages by ILL
Patrons can self-register on the CELA website at www.celalibrary.ca or by completing the CELA Patron Registration Form at the bottom of the page and submitting it to their local Branch Librarian. No medical forms are required. Patrons may assign a designate to register on their behalf. Home delivery or local branch delivery is available for DAISY CDs, braille, and described movies.
National Network for Equitable Library Service (NNELS)
Is a collection of accessible digital content owned and sustained by Canadian public libraries, working with international partners, libraries, readers and publishers. Formats and features available include:
- EPUB, E-text, PDF's and MP3's
- NNELS Content is searchable using library catalog
You can also request physical copies of NNELS content using the Saskatoon "NNELS Talking Books Disc Service”, which will ensure the delivery of a ‘talking book’ disc at a library branch of your choosing. Click here for more information: NNELS Talking Books Disc Service
To register for NNELS, submit the below NNELS self-declaration form or NNELS Competent-authority form to your local Branch Librarian. After registering, you may access the NNELS catalog at www.nnels.ca.
Thank you - if you have any questions please call 445-6108 (ext. 223) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org